DetailsDiscovering Italian Wine is the ideal way to introduce Italian wine to those who are just getting started on their wine journey or who are expanding out of their comfort zone (California, France, etc.) into the sometimes-daunting wines of Italy. This fun, unpressured course introduces the most prominent Italian wines and grape varieties.
It is specifically designed for people in wine service or sales (on- or off-premise) to jump-start their careers, but it’s also a great way for consumers and aficionados to get a quick initiation in Italian wine knowledge. No prior knowledge of Italian wines is required. (That’s why it’s called “Discovering”!)
Program HighlightsThis one-day program covers the highlights of the online course and will serve as a review/reinforcement of the online program. All registrants for Discovering Italian Wine at Somm Con will be given access to the 3-week online Discovering Italian Wine Course prior to the program and are encouraged to complete the online course ahead of time. There are seven lessons, each presenting a manageable amount of relevant information about Italian wines that are important in export markets.
- Setting the Stage
- 11 Key Italian Red Grape Varieties
- 11 Key Italian White Grape Varieties
- 11 Wines Named After Grape Varieties
- 11 Red Wines Named After Places
- 11 White, Pink, Sparkling, and Dessert Wines Named After Places
- 11 Places That Make Multiple Styles of Wine
The SommCon program will emphasize key learning objectives from Discovering Italian Wine as well as present a tasting covering the most significant styles of wine, plus a few fun surprises!
- Attendees of this program are eligible to take the Discovering Italian Wine exam after this seminar to earn a certificate. The exam is offered online at the student’s convenience.