DetailsRioja DOCa Master Certification
Rioja has a wine culture dating back to the Phoenicians and Celtic tribes. Popular in the Middle Ages as a stop on The Way pilgrimage route, Rioja’s reputation was solidified in the 19th century. Known traditionally for extended oak aging with a specific aroma and flavor profile, Rioja today is quite a diverse wine region. The beauty of these wines, and the culture of the region is timeless and inspiring.
This six-hour course covers the grapes, wine styles, terroir, market factors, business models, gastronomy and history. The flavor and aroma profiles of Rioja as it ages and the modern and traditional wines will be covered in depth. Learn what makes Rioja unique among the worlds’ most respected global wine regions.
Upon passing online exam, students will receive an Advanced Rioja certificate from the DOCa Consejo Regulador in Logroño.
- History, Influences of the British and the French
- Grape Varieties
- Terroir Characteristics, including the sub-regions and seven tributary valleys of the Ebro River
- Aging, Oak regimens, Outcomes of oak
- Wine Styles
- Business Models - Bodegas, Coops, Consejo Regulador
- Gastronomy and Culture
- The course will be followed by an online exam of one hour, given at a later date convenient to the student.